Director of Research
Director of Research
Position Title: Director of Research
The Position Reports to: Vice President, Partnerships, Advisory Services, and Thought Leadership
Salary Range: $100,000 to $120,000
Position Description and Goals
The Director of Research leads the research agenda at the International Economic Development Council (IEDC), identifying and executing studies that advance knowledge and provide insights relevant to economic development policy and practice globally. This position oversees all aspects of IEDC’s research function, including developing new projects, writing grant proposals, managing budgets and personnel, establishing rigorous protocols, conducting data analysis, disseminating findings, and advising staff on incorporating research insights.
This position is eligible to be located outside commuting distance of IEDC’s Washington, DC, office, and applicants from throughout the United States are encouraged to apply.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
IEDC seeks to model the diversity of the communities we serve, and as such, we strongly urge applications from all interested people without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
- Lead IEDC’s research agenda, identifying new research projects and initiatives aligned with IEDC’s mission to strengthen economic development globally.
- Collaborate with IEDC membership groups to develop and execute new applied research studies on topics relevant to economic development practitioners.
- Author and contribute to published reports, articles, and other materials disseminating IEDC research findings.
- Pursue grant funding opportunities to support IEDC research projects and grow the research function. Prepare budgets, write grant proposals, and manage funded projects.
- Establish research protocols, methodologies, and ethical guidelines for IEDC studies. Ensure rigor and quality in all research activities.
- Conduct literature reviews, data analysis, and synthesis of findings for IEDC research reports.
- Present research findings at IEDC events and external conferences/meetings.
- Lead and manage any staff or contractors supporting the research function.
- Oversee internal program evaluation and analytics for IEDC programs and services. Identify and track key performance indicators.
- Serve as an internal expert on research methodologies and data analytics. Advise staff on incorporating data and insights.
- Ph.D. in economics, public policy, public administration, planning, or related field preferred; master’s required.
- 7+ years of applied research experience in an academic, non-profit, or consulting environment.
- Prior supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of economic development principles, trends, and emerging issues.
- Strong project management, collaboration, and personnel management skills.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication abilities with the ability and experience needed to tailor research and information to the economic development profession.
- Proficiency with data analysis and statistical software.
- Commitment to working collaboratively with colleagues at all levels of the organization.
- Strong work ethic and commitment to success at work.
- Experience writing grant proposals and managing grant awards.
- Approximately 20% of out-of-town travel is required.