Research & Policy Manager
Are you ready to make an impact in the world of economic development? Join the Montgomery County Economic Development Corporation (MCEDC), where we’re not just about fostering economic growth – we also have a genuine interest in supporting your professional development.
As a Research & Policy Manager at MCEDC, you’ll play a vital role in shaping Montgomery County’s economic future. You’ll lead research initiatives and help to inform our business development and marketing efforts.
If you’re passionate about data-driven change, thrive in a collaborative setting, and want to be part of a company that values its employees, MCEDC is the place for you. Join us in creating a brighter future for Montgomery County.
Ready to make your mark? Apply now and be a part of something bigger at MCEDC.
The Research & Policy Manager is an exempt full-time position and serves as a key member of MCEDC’s strategy team. This position reports to the Sr. Vice President of Economic Development and will be primarily responsible for leading and managing the research necessary to support MCEDC strategic initiatives, RFP/business development responses, and organizational marketing campaigns.
The Research & Policy Manager will support MCEDC through activities including, but not limited to:
- Designing and executing research projects, including research design, data collection and analysis (quantitative and qualitative), interviews, writing, data visualization, and authoring
reports or other deliverables
- Continuously analyzing relevant data sets and economic indicators and disseminating updated findings/recommendations to MCEDC leadership
- Delivering final products that are accessible and informative to non-specialist audiences
- Identifying and building relationships with key external stakeholders
- Managing junior staff’s work on select research projects
- Provide research and analytic support to MCEDC’s management with timely and relevant research, data analysis, data interpretation, and information
- Support strategic planning activities by compiling, analyzing, and presenting data to support assessment and decision-making in various areas including targeted industries, emerging industries, proposed policy changes, and other relevant topics.
- Use ArcOnline to develop Story Maps—and other presentations with a geospatial component—to enhance MCEDC communications materials in coordination with the marketing team
- Conduct research analysis, literature reviews, and keep up to date on best practices relevant to MCEDC’s mission
- Prepare data for use in reports, charts, tables, and graphs related to the local business climate
- Develop and present training to MCEDC staff on accessing and using data to further MCEDC’s mission
- Provide quantitative data and analysis to support the county’s Comprehensive Economic Plan and MCEDC’s strategic plan
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Experience navigating and analyzing key data sets and databases (ESRI, JobsEQ, Census, BLS, etc.)
- Adaptable to changes in the work environment, managing competing demands, changing approaches or methods to best fit the situation, and dealing with frequent changes or unexpected events
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, to meet tight deadlines within budgetary constraints, and to handle multiple projects simultaneously and autonomously
- Superb communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to listen actively and present clearly and effectively in positive or negative situations, and to respond well to questions
- Writes clearly and informatively and varies writing style to meet needs
Preferred education and experience:
- Experience working in an economic development organization
- Experience working in an entrepreneurial environment
- Master’s Degree
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- Proficiency in working with Microsoft Office Suite and Salesforce or other CRM
- Familiarity with standard office equipment
Description of physical demands and work environment:
- Must be able to travel throughout the county to companies, partner organizations, meetings,
- Must be able to occasionally travel outside of the region to events and trade shows
- Must be able to use office equipment and computers
- Position may require moderate lifting of supplies and materials from time to time
- The working environment is a general office environment with a moderate noise level
Job Type: Full-time, Exempt
Job Location: Hybrid/Montgomery County, MD
Preferred education: Master’s Degree
Required experience: Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience
Salary Range: $90,000-$100,000
Montgomery County Economic Development Corporation is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.