Executive Director, Virginia Office of Education Economics (VOEE)
VEDP is seeking to hire an Executive Director of VOEE. The Executive Director will be the point person for all activities tied to VOEE – spanning everything from guiding the organizational design, development, and overall strategy to designing and executing a meaningful research agenda in partnership with local, regional, state, and national entities. This Executive Director will manage a staff of at least two initially, with substantial potential for growth.
- Member of VEDP’s executive team
- Reports to VEDP’s President & CEO
- Staff: 2-3 (with potential to grow)
The Executive Director of the Virginia Office of Education Economics has four (4) core responsibility areas:
- Lead the design and creation of the new Virginia Office of Education Economics: With an eye toward Virginia serving as a model and leader on the topic of education and workforce alignment nationally, design the ideal structure, stakeholder engagement mechanisms, budget, funding strategy, vision, and mission in close partnership with the President of VEDP, VEDP’s Managing Director of Strategic Talent Initiatives, and possibly with support of external consultants.
- Lead VOEE’s research agenda strategy and execution: Informed by benchmarking analysis and input from stakeholders, identify and execute a research agenda strategy that will optimize impact for all of VOEE’s key stakeholders (policymakers, employers, students, guidance counselors, jobseekers, workers and families, etc.) in the near-term, medium-term, and long-term. Garner feedback from key stakeholder groups in an iterative design process in order to set VOEE’s research agenda approach, including how research endeavors are designed, conducted, and reviewed; design process of determining specific content areas / industries / topics of focus; and identify mechanisms for partnering with external stakeholders in order to deliver on specific research agenda deliverables.
- Cultivate in-state and national partnerships and relationships: VOEE will benefit from national partnerships and relationships in order to (1) garner best-in-class insights on any given education and labor market alignment topic and elevate Virginia’s work to the national best practices conversations, and (2) ensure organizational sustainability and growth through grantmaking / funding opportunities. The Executive Director will be the lead spokesperson and champion for VOEE with chief responsibilities in cultivating these national partnerships and relationships for expertise and/or funding purposes.
- Division leadership and administration: Provide strong leadership to other staff members within the VOEE team. Ensure that all relevant HR and statutory responsibilities are consistently followed. Serve as an active, collaborative member of VEDP’s executive team, including strong participation in key leadership meetings. As requested, attend external meetings on behalf of VEDP management, delivering key messages and perspectives of VEDP as appropriate. As requested, develop analyses and proposals to support VEDP management in decision-making efforts.
- Advanced degree in economics, business (MBA), public policy (MPP) and/or another relevant field preferred
- Doctoral degree in labor economics, public policy, and/or another relevant field preferred
- Track record/experience in understanding employer talent and human resource needs
- Subject matter expertise in education and labor market alignment research areas, including but not limited to the economics of education, unemployment, underemployment, navigational tools for jobseekers, industry credentials and certifications, and/or specific industry verticals (e.g., tech sector, healthcare sector)
- Experience leading an organization or office, including representing the broader vision and mission of that organization with a wide array of national stakeholders
- Track record and familiarity with philanthropic funding, grantmaking, and/or federal and state funding
- Management of direct reports with a track record of developing people and building successful teams ▪ Excellent strategic analysis and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of and experience working with talent-related datasets, including but not limited to BLS, Emsi, Burning Glass, Census Bureau, etc.
- At least three years of experience as an executive director or similar leadership level position for an organization involved in education and/or labor market alignment content
- Understanding of both qualitative and quantitative research methods, as well as an ability to convert findings and insights into accessible and executive-level communications
- Broad “T” experiences – not only in research, but in building an organization, piloting, innovation processes, raising/allocating funds, and an understanding of policy
- Visionary leader – a thinker and a doer
- Passion for generating informed insights that create greater education and labor market alignment and/or improved outcomes for individuals, employers, regions, and policymakers
- Passion for public and private sector impact
- Strategic thinker who can synthesize large amounts of data and other information quickly
- Entrepreneurial mindset: comfort with ambiguity and an inclination for action
- Network-oriented: both in terms of existing contacts in Virginia and nationally, as well as the ability to sustain and build new relationships with public and private sector organizations
- Excels under pressure, in a fast-paced, high-profile work environment
- Relationship builder, motivator, and team player
- Positive attitude and energetic
- Healthy curiosity
- Sound judgment
- Impeccable character