Research & Intelligence Economic Development Manager
Under general direction, is responsible for leading the departments research and intelligence program that supports all pillars of the department by compiling and analyzing data to tell compelling stories about the work the team is doing. Leads team in creating and maintaining economic dashboards, responding to city-wide and department data needs, building databases and publishing department reports. This position will be the subject matter expert for data analytics in the department. Working conditions are primarily inside an office environment. Exercises direct supervision over assigned staff.
This position is an “unclassified” position and has no disciplinary appeal rights to the Municipal Civil Service Commission. This position is likewise subject to at-will employment status and can be terminated at any time for any reason.
100 W. Houston Street (City Tower), 19th Floor, San Antonio, Texas 78205
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday
Essential Job Functions
- Create compelling and customized stories as to why companies should choose to relocate or expand into San Antonio that is grounded in data for the San Antonio market. This data/stories can be used for requests for information (RFI) responses, presentations, internal communications, external communications, marketing research, targeted sector research, and other projects as assigned
- Compile labor market information including, but not limited to, industry and occupation trends, wage and salary information, labor availability, historical and projected growth, and cost of living in a comprehensive format that is compelling to companies and internal and external stakeholders.
- Procure and develop tools that allows for successful tracking and reporting on project status and successes
- Establish and maintain strategic and effective relationships with community partners in local and regional education and talent development organizations
- Lead all data analytics and research for the Economic Development Department
- Manages and oversees all staff division activities
- Designs and implements business retention strategies for local businesses and provides necessary assistance to stimulate business expansions.
- Designs and implements strategies for business development in targeted neighborhood commercial and revitalization districts.
- Documents the City’s compliance with business development goals.
- Coordinates division activities with and communicates to the Economic Development Director and City Manager’s Office.
- Develops and maintains current information on all completed economic development plans.
- Attends meetings of organizations and agencies involved in developing goals to attract industry to the City.
- Makes formal presentations to city staff, City Council, or outside organizations or business as necessary.
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
- Five (5) years increasingly responsible experience in economic development.
- Two (2) years of supervisory or management experience.
- Experience with data tools such as CoStar, Placer.ai, EMSI, ESRI or similar
- Experience with Salesforce
- If selected for this position, official transcripts, diplomas, certifications and licenses must be submitted at the time of processing. Unofficial transcripts and copies of other relevant documents may be attached to the application for consideration in advance.
- Please be advised that if selected for this position, information regarding employment history as it relates to the qualifications of the position will be needed for employment verification. Applicants claiming military service to meet the experience requirement for this position may attach a DD214 to the application.
- Unless otherwise stated, applicants are permitted to substitute two years of related full-time experience for one year of higher education or one year of related higher education for two years of experience in order to meet the minimum requirements of the job. One year of full-time experience is defined as 30 or more hours worked per week for 12 months. One year of higher education is defined as 30 credit hours completed at an accredited college or university.
- Applicants selected for employment with the City of San Antonio in this position must receive satisfactory results from pre-employment drug testing and background checks. If required for the position, a physical, motor vehicle record evaluation, and additional background checks may be conducted.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of City planning procedures related to economic development.
- Knowledge of economics, statistics, and standard methods and techniques of conducting research.
- Knowledge of economic factors and incentives that motivate individual businesses to expand, modernize, or relocate.
- Knowledge of various City policies and procedures that impact individual businesses, including the permit and license system, zoning regulations, provision of municipal services such as Police and Fire, etc.
- Knowledge of full range of techniques for providing financial assistance to firms.
- Skill in utilizing a personal computer and associated software programs.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard and other basic office equipment.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with residents, large organizations, administrative staff, and board members.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Ability to communicate City objectives to the news media.
- Ability to respond rapidly to reasonable requests for business assistance through the coordination and packaging of various City programs and resources.
- Ability to effectively supervise and coordinate a staff of professional business assistance specialists.
- Ability to work with senior representatives of the business communities and City department Directors to design and implement business service programs.
- Ability to perform all the physical requirements of the position, with or without accommodations.