Work Environment: Employees work in the Greenville office; up to 2 days of remote work/week is allowed (after introductory period). Hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; flexibility required when extended hours are needed to meet deliverables or attend events.
Benefits: Competitive package includes an opportunity for annual bonus, up to 25 days PTO, paid parental leave, annual professional development budget, health insurance, up to $1,000 annual deductible reimbursement, 5% 401(k) match, life insurance, short/long term disability.
Position Summary: The Upstate SC Alliance seeks a Research Specialist to obtain, manage, organize, and analyze data; and assist with the preparation of materials for research reports, marketing collateral, and outreach activities. The Research Specialist is a critical player who pulls information together to create compelling content for the organization and its stakeholders. The position will report directly to the Director of Research & Strategic Initiatives.
Who Will You Work With? The Upstate SC Alliance markets the Upstate SC region to the world for new business locations and expansions. We offer a full range of economic development assistance in site selection, information and research, and connections to people and resources; and assist efforts to expand the region’s international competitiveness and to attract talent. The organization’s clients include county and municipal governments who engage the Upstate SC Alliance to market the region for job creation and economic growth. A large component of this work is understanding and analyzing regional economic performance and translating those insights into marketing/branding opportunities. The organization’s client base also includes private companies using economic analyses for location selection, talent sourcing, and wage setting. You will work with these clients, providing regional economic data and expertise.
You’ll work as part of a 10-person team. Activities will include assessing regional labor market supply and demand, analyzing industry clusters, and responding to prospect inquiries on a range of subjects. Additionally, you will support Upstate SC Alliance teams by delivering knowledge in a range of ways – sometimes by answering one-off questions, other times by developing and conducting custom analyses to use in specific projects.
The Ideal Candidate:
• Has an interest in developing expertise in economic development and international competitiveness
• Understands demographics, quantitative methods and library research methods or has other experience
in which analyzing regional economic performance is a core component
• Has competence to undertake research assignments with modest supervision
• Has an analytical mindset with excellent problem-solving skills; demonstrates an ability to form solid opinions based on relevant information
• Understands the importance of organizational and administrative tasks to research activity; maintains processes and procedures to minimize mistakes
• Works at a fast pace, managing multiple projects and activities simultaneously
• Communicates factually and with precision, speaks directly and confidently with a professional demeanor, and is comfortable working with high-profile individuals from corporate, government, and
• Demonstrates mature judgment with the capacity to properly handle proprietary and confidential information
• Has the aptitude to learn unfamiliar concepts and topics quickly, including internal/external software applications
• Demonstrates a high level of initiative and drive, coupled with ability to interact effectively with teammates at all levels of an organization
• Has high standards for quality of work
Essential Skills and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in Business, Economics, Marketing, Data Analytics, or related field
• Excellent research skills
• Excellent communication skills – written, verbal, and presentation
• Ability to manage multiple tasks with shifting priorities and varying deadlines
• Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
• Strong Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PPT) and database management skills
• Experience with economic and demographic data and visualization tools (e.g., Census, Tableau, ArcGIS, ESRI Business Analyst, and similar tools)
Beneficial Skills and Experience:
• Experience with database development
• Experience with website content management systems
• Foreign language
o Manage the development and maintenance of a proprietary company database for the region
o Update statistical and research content used on the Alliance’s website and in marketing materials and presentations; data must always be current and relevant
o Collect data for special projects including customized presentations, micro sites, and reports
o Assists in the design, collection, maintenance, and analysis of data to build and maintain a robust inventory of internal information: data, lists, target industry intelligence, etc.
Local Economic Development/RFI Support
o Manage/compile the regional response to requests
o Provide specialized support to economic developers by request
Lead Generation Support
o Conduct business prospect research and respond to data requests from leads and prospects
o Respond to data requests from investors and the community
Other and Non-Core Responsibilities
o Perform other duties as assigned
o Assist other departments and team members as needed
Please Note: The Upstate Alliance has a mandatory vaccination policy requiring COVID-19 vaccines and recommended boosters for all employees, and vaccination is a condition of employment.
The Upstate Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer and reasonable accommodations will be considered. Employees seeking an exemption from this requirement for valid medical or religious reasons may send a written request for accommodation to Human Resources to be considered.
Application Instructions: All applicants should submit a résumé, cover letter detailing relevant experience, and 3 professional references (to be contacted only after in-person interviews with permission) to email@example.com. Please include “Research Specialist” in the subject line of your submission. No calls please.