Research Data Specialist I (Research Economist)
The California Department of Finance currently has 2 openings for our Research Data Specialist I position in the Forecasting Division! The Research Data Specialist will be provided with the unique opportunity to work in conjunction with the State’s top forecasters and the Governor’s Council of Economic Advisors producing California’s official economic forecasts, analyzing the economic impact of various enacted and proposed policies, weekly data updates, and producing memos for the Director of Finance and the Governor’s Office on current economic issues.
This is a Hybrid-Based Position, which requires employees to work in our Downtown Sacramento office for a minimum of two days during the workweek.
- Assist the Economic Research Unit with producing the official economic forecasts for the State of California.
- Analyzing the economic impact of various enacted and proposed policies, weekly data updates, producing memos for the Director of Finance and the Governor’s Office on current economic issues.
- Organizing and participating in Finance’s biannual economic forecast conference attended by top forecasters across the state, supporting the Chief Economist with the Governor’s Council of Economic Advisors, and reviewing regulatory impacts from California agencies proposing new regulations.
- The topics of regulatory reviews span all areas of state policy, such as insurance, environmental policies, health care, and worker safety, among others. The economic forecast and the policy analysis provided by the unit inform the state budget and other decisions made by the Governor.
- The Research Data Specialist will lead projects and will be responsible for analyzing and maintaining a working knowledge on current economic issues and data including labor market, personal income, housing, and inflation data.
All Applicants must take and pass the Research Data Specialist I Exam prior to applying: https://www.calcareers.ca.gov/JOBSGEN/8PB39.PDF