Job Description and Duties
Finance is the Governor’s chief fiscal policy adviser and seeks to promote long-term economic sustainability and responsible resource allocation. The Economic Research Unit (ERU) is responsible for California’s official economic forecast, which is used for the administration’s official revenue forecast and budget development process.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief Economist and the Research Data Supervisor II, the Research Data Analyst will be assigned as ERU’s Regulations Coordinator responsible for overseeing the regulations workload including monitoring incoming regulation packages, managing deadlines, communicating with Finance budget units and agencies, and coordinating with the Office of Administrative Law (OAL) and with the Major Regulations team in ERU. The candidate will be responsible for learning a general understanding of the regulatory review process and interpreting statues. Ideally have exceptional organizational skills to keep track of incoming regulations and deadlines, manage professional, cordial, and courteous communications with agencies, OAL and Finance budget analysts and track reviews of regulations. The Research Data Analyst will also assist with producing the official economic forecast for California. The topics span all areas of state policy and regulations, such as insurance, environmental policies, health care, and worker safety, among others.
In addition to evaluating each candidate’s relative ability, as demonstrated by quality and breadth of experience, the following factors will provide the basis for competitively evaluating each candidate:
- Graduation from college, and completion of coursework in economics or a related field such as statistics and public policy.
- Ability to communicate economic concepts to the general public, program specialists, and other economists, in oral and written form.
- Ability to quickly absorb new material and apply economic thinking to policy issues.
- Willingness to take responsibility for projects and incorporate feedback from various points of view.
- Ability to exercise a high degree of initiative.
- Ability to work on multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective cooperative working relationships.