The State of Michigan is looking for a new associate director of the Research and Analytics division within the Bureau of Labor Market Information and Strategic Initiatives (LMISI). This individual will work at the forefront of evidence-based decision making and lead an exciting portfolio of initiatives, from developing new cross-department analytics projects to evaluating the effectiveness of workforce development programs. As the leader of the Research and Analytics team, the associate director will play a central role in conducting work that directly informs senior management in Michigan state government. The associate director will work closely with internal and external partners, developing analytics projects that turn data into actionable information to solve customer problems, and assisting partners in gaining a better understanding of public programs.
- Ensure all deliverables from interoffice agreements, memoranda of understanding, and grant agreements are completed and meet all operational and quality standards.
- Oversee the development and use of administrative and longitudinal data and consulting activity to support evidence-based decision making.
- Act as liaison with other state agencies, organizations, and employees to coordinate bureau research and analytics efforts.
- Champion and execute strategic objectives and initiatives in alignment with statewide, department, and bureau mission, vision, and values.
- Identify and pursue promising practices to continuously improve bureau operations and increase value to partners, customers, and residents.
- Provide coordination with, direction to, and evaluation of section managers and set the tone at the top for the division.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- An advanced degree in economics, statistics, public policy, political science, sociology, or another related field.
- A minimum of four years of relevant work experience.
- Experience conducting quantitative research on public programs using administrative data sources. Knowledge of machine learning and experience with RCTs are both desirable.
- Experience building and maintaining relationships with partners both inside and outside of the public sector.
- Ability to produce high-quality reports for a variety of audiences.
- Experience leading a team of analysts and managing multiple projects under a variety of constraints and timelines.